Netflix Original Movies and Show Reviews

Natalie Abramat, News editor

Netflix has been dishing out the latest in original movies and shows. From high flying superheroes to rom coms and their own TV shows, here’s a list of some of the best and worst Netflix originals playing right now.

The latest rom coms Netflix has produced is The Kissing Booth, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before and Sierra Burgess is a Loser. The Kissing Booth was ranked high on the list for many of the viewers, however, the critics thought quite differently. It received 13% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 6.2 out of 10 on IMDb. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before received a very positive review in terms to The Kissing Booth. The story seemed more legit and credible, along with it being an overall enjoyable movie. With a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 7 out of 10 on IMDb, it was already a more successful movie than The Kissing Booth. Lastly in the Rom Com section is Sierra Burgess is a Loser.

Not only do we find out where Barb disappeared to, but we discover her strange new crush is the same actor who played the love interest in To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. Overall, the movie wasn’t a complete flop, but wasn’t as successful as the other two, still ranking higher than The Kissing Booth with a 61% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Besides the acclaimed show, Stranger Things, also comes other Netflix original shows that have outdone themselves. American Vandal tells a ridiculous, but quite funny story, with a high school student documentary approach. It takes up a high spot on Rotten Tomatoes with a 97% and a 8 out of 10 on IMDb. It’s a complete satire on True Crime tv shows, since they have risen in popularity amongst TV viewers. Underneath it in second is A Series of Unfortunate Events. This show had movies made prior to Netflix creating the show, but didn’t have huge success. The show was ultimately based off of the books. It’s overall presentation on Netflix was well received with a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes and is renewed for a third season. Lastly comes two original shows that deal with difficult topics.

13 Reasons Why and Insatiable discuss the topics of image and bullying. Despite the sensitive content, they were both acknowledged for mixed reviews amongst critics and viewers. 13 Reasons Why had a 54% while Insatiable suffered an 11%. 13 Reasons Why angered many people who live with mental illness as they described the show for having an inaccurate portrayal and depiction of the main character.

“I refuse to watch 13 reasons why. I don’t think it did much for suicide prevention or awareness. It really just glorified it and made it seem like it was okay for what happened.” Reese Foytik (‘20). However, some had a different view on the show.

“13 Reasons why is an amazing show and it made me cry. The message conveys to people and in super powerful.” Kenzie V. Bowlby (‘19).

The same mostly applies to the show Insatiable. It also had a wide backlash for viewing slim girls as the only people who are capable of being pretty and loved, which nothing could be further from the truth. However, these two shows express important messages about how our society handles and views these issues.