Let’s Talk About Midterms

Sofi Zeman, Editor-In-Chief

November 6 is quickly approaching and leaving just a matter of weeks until the 2018 midterm elections. In just under a month, all 435 seats in the House of Representatives will be up for grabs, as well as approximately one-third of the United States Senate. This year’s midterms – which mark the halfway point of the current presidency – are especially important, given the controversiality of the Trump administration. Through these elections, Democrats will attempt to flip the majority in one of – if not both – the chambers of Congress. Meanwhile, Republicans will use these elections to try to maintain the majority power that they currently hold in both chambers. Needless to say, this is a time to be paying attention to what’s going on in American politics.

In many ( but not all ) states, midterms are also for the election of governors, state legislature officers and municipal officials. It’s no secret to Illinois residents that Gov. Bruce Rauner is currently up for re election. His top competition in the race for Governor of Illinois is currently democrat, J.B. Pritzker. Now, here are the facts. Though many people who live in this county – and abroad – hate to admit it, Illinois is a blue state. In terms of state legislature, the democratic party holds the majority in Illinois in both the House and the Senate. When Rauner, a Republican, took office in 2014, Illinois became a divided government. Even though the Dems hold some majority, the party wishes to conquer on all three levels (gubernatorial, representative and senatorial) in order to make Illinois a truly Democratic state. These efforts seem to be paying off. A poll that was taken in early October reported that Illinois is likely to lean left on election day, in favor of Pritzker (governing.com). In other words, change is coming.

When midterms come around, there is always a call to action of some sort. Every few years, we   are told “this could be the most important election of your lifetime,” or that, “the vote you cast today has the power to change the American legislative system as we know it.”

If you want to believe in anything remotely relative to these statements, now is the time to do so.

Take a minute and look around. See the world that we are living in. We are at point in history where our government is at war with itself. This war may not be as literal or blatant as some that have taken place in the past. However, its existence is undeniable. This division is not simply party-based, as it is in Illinois. Yes, the ever constant clash between the two dominant political parties remains to be an issue. But, this has become so much more than that. The past two years have primarily consisted of the constant flow conspiracy theories, accusations of treason and the resignations of multiple long-time government figures. Weeks ago, The New York Times received a letter from a government insider that claimed to be a part of a group of people conspiring against the current administration. All party lines and beliefs aside, we should all be able to agree to the fact that things have gotten a little out of hand on a variety of fronts.

Regardless of which side you want to take, it’s important to exercise your right to vote. Your vote does matter – and so do the results of these upcoming elections. Keep up to date with American politics. Encourage younger generations to get involved, rather than discouraging their opinions. Members of Gen Z, register when you’re able to do so. The outcome of these elections are going to impact the lives of many, many people, so don’t leave it up to a skew in results because of non response bias.