2018 Music Playlist

2018 Music Playlist

Music is a teens language.  The words in songs often express their own feelings and experiences. It also helps with difficult situations like peer pressure, friendships, and family situations but it also gets them pumped up, excited, and in the mood to dance.  The students here at Belvidere North listen to a variety of music, mainly stuff like pop, pop R&B, hip-hop/rap, country, and EDM.

When asking students, most of them said their favorite songs to listen to right now were  “Never Recover” by Lil Baby and Gunna featuring Drake, “Lucid Dreams” by Juice Wrld, and “In My Feelings” by Drake.

Never Recover has been very popular these past couple of months.  The song is taken from Lil Baby and Gunna’s new project, Drip Harder, which came out October 5.  It also has guest appearances from Young Thug, Lil Uzi Vert, and NAV. Drake, Lil Baby & Gunna – Never Recover – YouTube

“The song Never Recover is good because it has a good beat, good lyrics, a good sound.  My favorite lyric is “Look at my story, man, no one could write it. Now I see a million, I don’t get excited.”  That’s my favorite lyric because it gets me really motivated for football,“ said Joey Paddock (‘19).

Juice Wrld told Billboard that he wrote the song “Lucid Dreams” in his family room when he was a senior in high school.  Once he went to the studio, it only took him twenty minutes or so to record the track. Lucid Dreaming is dreaming but being aware that you are doing it.  Juice Wrld believes that if you’re able to control your dreams then you have more power over your mind. Juice WRLD – Lucid Dreams (Dir. by @_ColeBennett_) – YouTube

“Lucid Dreams is a really good song because it tells a valid story.  The song talks about the mental pain a person goes through after a breakup in the way that teens are able to relate to,” said Kalen Cottrell (‘21).

In My Feelings, was a hit over the summer due to the viral dance challenge. The challenge was referred to as the “kiki” or “keke” challenge.  Jumping out of a moving vehicle and dancing in the road doesn’t sound like a good idea. But for the thousands of people around the world it was just another craze to be part of.  Drake – In My Feelings – YouTube

“In My Feelings is one of my all time favorite songs because of the viral dance record.  You couldn’t go onto any social media site without seeing the challenge over the summer. People our age were not even the only ones doing it.  There were videos of parents, grandparents, and even teachers doing the dance,” said Jocie Horner (‘20).

Next time you’re looking for new music, make sure to check out all three hit songs.