National Honor Society Club Requirements

Priscila Chavez, Reporter

Since the start of the school year, there have been many opportunities for students to join new clubs. One of the main clubs students were eager to join was National Honor Society.

NHS is a nationwide organization for high school students who exceed in academics, leadership, and character. The club is a volunteer-based club for juniors and seniors at BNHS. BNorth also offers English Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, Science Honor Society, and German Honor Society and many more honor society clubs.

The Goal of English Honor Society is to also recognize student’s accomplishments and encourages members to advance their skills in the study of English. But before you consider joining the widespread club, like any other club, there are some requirements you need to meet before being able to join.

• Candidates must have been in attendance at BNHS for a minimum of one semester
  • Candidates must be a junior or a senior
  • Candidates must have achieved a minimum overall GPA of 3.0
  • Candidates must have achieved a minimum English GPA of 3.5
  • Candidates must provide a copy of their current high school transcript.  Transcripts are available in the Guidance Office. Just ask your counselor for a copy!
  • Candidates must be active participants in English class and/or have taken more than the required English courses

Next, Spanish Honor Society is one of the many societies at North looking for dedicated Spanish students. The requirements for Spanish Honor Society are:

The student must:

• be in Spanish 3 or higher
  • have a 3.0 or higher in Spanish classes (As and Bs) and submit their transcripts to Ms. Lawver or Mrs. Polasky
  • be able to tutor after school 10 times a semester upon their induction in the spring semester

The fee to join is $10 ($5 for the application fee, $5 to register officially online).

The same as Spanish Honor Society, German Honor Society is also looking for dedicated German-speaking students.

German Honor Society requirements:

• 3 semesters in German classes
  • 3.6 GPA in German courses
  • 3.0 overall GPA
  • Participate in German Club
  • 12 hours after school peer tutoring

Induction Fee: 6 dollars (you receive official certificate and name is registered in the Honor Society database)

Reactivation Fee: 2 dollars (covers the reentry into the national database)

Lastly on the list is Science Honor Society. Science Honor Society was created in 2000 in order to find a new group of young high school thinkers who will be the future of the industry.

Science Honor Society Objectives

• Advance the student’s knowledge of classical and modern science
  • Communicate with the scientific community
  • Aid the civic community with its comprehension of science
  • Encourage students to participate in community service and in turn encourage the dedication to the pursuit of scientific knowledge that benefits all humankind