BNorth Volleyball Makes Their Way to Sectionals

Lily Bakulski, Sports Editor

The Belvidere North girls volleyball team is currently holding the NIC-10 Conference and Regional Champions title. They went undefeated in the conference with a record of 18-0. They are now being coached by Amanda Carlson who is new this year to North’s athletic program. The team will now be practicing for Sectionals which will start on Monday, October 29.

The girls hosted a volleyball tournament at Belvidere North High School and for the second year in a row, they won the BNHS Play for Pat tournament. They went undefeated in this tournament with a record of 5-0. This sent them on their path to success which would later stop at the conference championship game. Their last game of the season was against Hononegah and all they needed to do was beat them in order to win the conference title. In the first set, North lost to Hononegah 25-19. North needed to win the next two sets in order to win the conference title. The girls were able to defeat Hononegah, winning the next two sets, 25-12 and 25-15. This night was also dedicated to seniors, so every senior got a basket to take home to remember all the memories they had made with their team in the past four years of high school. Their team is made up of 12 upperclassmen and the other two are freshmen.

“Four years flew by so fast. Winning the conference championship meant so much for the team and I can’t wait to see what the next couple of weeks bring us,” said Bryn Cortrell (‘19).

This year, Belvidere North High School hosted the regional tournament for volleyball. On Tuesday, October 23, the girls played Dekalb High School. Winning this game meant going to the regional championship game where they would play Harlem High School. Due to too many games played during their season, Hampshire was disqualified, so Harlem automatically made it into the championship game. Belvidere North beat Dekalb in two sets, the scores being 25-11 and 25-15. The championship game would now be played on Thursday, October 25 against Harlem High School.

On October 25 the girls were ready to take the regional title home. Belvidere North has never had a volleyball team win a regional championship title, so the 2018 girls volleyball team wanted to be the first. The girls beat Harlem in two easy sets. The scores were 25-13 and 25-11. The volleyball team won the regional championship and now advance to sectionals which will start on Monday, October 29.

“After winning the regional championship, we are thrilled to be moving on to sectionals and to be able to play better competition that will give us something to compete with,” said outside hitter, Brookelyn Messenger (‘19).

Messenger and Peyton Sewell (‘19) both broke records this season with assists and kills. Messenger has a 300 kill record and Sewell has a 600 assist record. Ella Ruder (‘20) led the conference with digs, Sewell led the conference with assists and Messenger led the conference with kills. Come out to support these girls and their team on Monday, October 29 when they play Saint Charles East in the first round of sectional playoffs.