Girls Tennis Takes On State

The Belvidere North Girls tennis team had an amazing season.  Their final record was 18-4 after sectionals.

The team placed second at sectionals, which automatically allowed them to qualify for state.  State was held at Buffalo Grove High School, on October 18-20.

“At state, the #1 doubles bracket is very hard.  We are in the higher class and most of the teams are from Chicago, which means their really good.  Morgan and I ended up playing two highly skilled teams and unfortunately lost both matches. Even though we lost both of the games, we were also able to win matches on them and take them to a deuce almost every game.  I’m very proud of how we did and I honestly could not have asked for a better season,” said Bice.

The only two returning starters are Caroline Park (‘19) and Olivia Kirsten (‘19).  Other starters joining the lineup consists of doubles: Remy Bice (‘19) and Morgan Dent (‘20), Lauren Shelton (‘19) and Olivia Hart (‘19) and then Maisy Rathbun (‘20) and Paige Lambright (‘20) who switched to higher courts.   

Starting off the season, new and returning players, had high hopes of improving.  Each player is proud to say they accomplished that goal. Throughout the season they played many hard fought matches, and the majority of the results ended up in their favor.  

“We had a very successful season.  Bice, Park, and I were the three qualifiers from North and the sixth, seventh, and eighth in school history.  Us three got all conference after the conference tournament and we each finished second at sectionals. At the beginning of we did not expect to make it to state because Remy and I had never played together.  Taking on state, we had a lot of fun with our teammates and were happy to win a couple of games due to the high competition in the big class,” said Dent.

Looking ahead to next season, the girls varsity team will have about twelve returning players as eleven players will graduate as seniors this year.

Overall, the girls had a great season and are very happy with the end result that could not have been any better.