XC two time state champs

Rachel Nelson, Sports Editor

On Saturday, October 27 North’s boys and girls cross country teams participated in the Sectional meet at Woodstock. Both teams put in a lot of hard work, and it paid off for some of them.

For the boys, they didn’t advance to State as a team, but Max Beutel (‘20) advanced as an individual. Beutel took 5th place at Sectionals for advancing individuals and 9th overall with a time of 15:40. Logan Walsh (‘19) finished in 52nd with a time of 16:50.

“I’m excited to go out and compete and see what i can do. I’m ready for the opportunity and can’t wait to represent north,” said Beutel.

North as a team finished in 13th placed with a score of 320.

The girls’ team had more luck. Belvidere North’s girls’ cross country team is Sectional champions for the third year in a row. Gianna Sagona (‘20) finished 2nd overall with a time of 17:41. Madison Diercks (‘20) was close behind with an 18:02 finish for 4th place. They were followed by Sydnie Elder (‘21) in 10th place and a time of 18:24.

“It’s exciting to be going back to state because this is what we have worked for all season and I am really excited to make more memories with the team,” said Sagona.  

The team’s overall score was 68 points, beating the #2 ranked team in the state, Vernon Hills, by 30 points.

“Teams like Vernon Hills and Prairie Ridge are well coached, athletic teams and to run the way that we did made me very proud as a coach.  Our runners really focused on getting ahead of certain runners on the other teams and they really went after it and accomplished their race goals,” said Coach Ken Husser.

On November 3, Beutel, the girls’ team and some spectators traveled to Detweiler Park in Peoria, Illinois to compete at the State Championships.

Beutel placed 83rd with a time of 16:00. This was Beutel’s first time qualifying for state.

The first to cross the finish line for North was Sagona. She took 6th place with a time of 17:19. She was followed by Diercks in 7th. She crossed the finish line with a time of 17:30.

The girl’s team is once again State Champions, taking the lead by 35 points. This is their second time winning the State Champion title the past three years.

It is awesome to be state champions again.  For some reason the second time feels even better than the first.  I think the challenges were greater this time around and when it all worked out, I felt really excited about it. We will have almost all of our top runners back again for next year, along with a couple of promising freshmen, so we should have a very good team again,” said Coach Husser.

The girls are hoping for a great season next year so that they can bring home yet another state trophy.