Come Over When You’re Sober Pt.2

Come Over When You’re Sober Pt.2

Marissa Johnson, Reporter

Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt. 2 is the second studio album by singer and rapper, Lil Peep (Gustav Elijah Åhr.) The album was originally postponed due to Lil Peep’s death on November 15th, 2017. The album was released 6 days before the one year anniversary marking his tragic death.

Following Lil Peep’s death, his label First Access Entertainment and his family began to back up his laptop which included his recordings for his Pt.2 to Come Over When You’re Sober. The project was originally backed up at First Access Entertainment headquarters, located in London. His secondary laptop was then backed up at an Apple store by his mother, Liza Womack.

His producer Dylan Mullen (Smokeasac) revealed that Peep had made several unreleased songs. Songs recorded specifically made for a “possible sequel” to his album; Come Over When You’re Sober. In a tweet shortly after Gus’s death, Smokeasac tweeted that he and Peep made “beautiful music” and that he has unreleased music which included Peep. In February 2018, Smokeasac tweeted a confirmation that the album is coming, but would be released when “the time is right,” the release date was later confirmed to be November 9, 2018.

“Money played absolutely no part in the project. I didn’t work on it for money I worked so hard on it for Gus. My friend and music partner. I’m honored Peep chose me to be his producer. That came with a huge responsibility and I could not let him down. Only he would understand,” Smokeasac said in a tweet.

Lil Peep’s music captures the struggles of love, addiction, and depression. Most of his songs are deeply personal to his own life and struggles with addiction and mental illness.Since his passing, the lyrics of the album’s 13 songs are haunting; he draws predictions about his soon to be death.

“Lil Peep means a lot to me because he has helped me through hard times and it’s sad to see someone overdose, he will be missed by millions for a long time. Rip Lil Peep,” said Sky Becker (‘22).

The legacy he left behind as a candid artist, touching on realities of drug abuse, mental illness, and struggles with fame. Those closest to him made this finishing of Peep’s album possible and respectfully show the message he had hoped to convey in his music. “I love Lil Peep, he’s better than 6ix9ine and this album proves it.” Trey Logsdon (‘21)

The album starts with a four and a half minute track called, “Broken Smile,” Track two, “Runaway,” was pre-released and listeners already knew to expect this song on the album. “I personally can’t choose a favorite from any of the songs on the album, they were all really good and the album was definitely a 10/10,” Hailie Hill (‘21).

Track three “Sex with My Ex,” marks the point where the album picks up and takes off with a unique array of sounds and instruments. Next, “Cry Alone” which was also pre-released Track 5 is “Leanin,” a track which begins with a slow tempo, acoustic beats, and morbid lyrics.

Another stand out track, “16 Lines,” which builds up as the song continues. “Life is Beautiful” is a somewhat sarcastic track. In an earlier track Peep released in 2016 titled “Cobain,” Peep was often referred to as the “Kurt Cobain of our generation.” The emotion of his lyrics makes you connect with emotional sides you didn’t know you had. Peep’s Cobain-like energy shines through in track eight, “Hate Me.”

“Idgaf” discusses Peep’s issues with addiction and caring for himself and others. Track 10, “White Girl,” brings in Smokeasac’s familiar deep electric guitar. The track “Fingers” unleashes a stronger punk and R&B vibe.“Fingers was one of my favorite songs on this album, the song brings in upbeat and poetic lyrics.” Caleb Karlson (‘21). Come Over When You’re Sober Pt. 2 ends with “Sunlight on your Skin,” featuring ILoveMakonnen.

Whether your a fan of Lil Peep or not, you can’t deny that his fans loved him; they felt his loss, getting tattoos and setting up memorials all over the world. He loved them, respected them as equals and interacted with them. Gus had a future that was very promising but was so tragically cut short. He was an influence to many and he was so honest and open with the world. That’s why it was so easy to connect and fall in love with him and his music. He will be missed by many but like he once said, “you can’t kill energy, energy doesn’t die.”