Local Holiday Volunteer Opportunities

Ice+Skating+at+Rockford%27s+annual+Stroll+on+State+Event+a+few+years+ago.+

Local Holiday Volunteer Opportunities

Ice Skating at Rockford's annual Stroll on State Event a few years ago.

Anna Hulstedt, Features Editor

As the holidays roll around, many preparations for Thanksgiving and Christmas are beginning. Many will begin their holiday shopping, host Christmas parties, study for end of the semester finals, and jam out to some holly jolly music for the first time since last year. No matter what your holiday season plans entail, most can agree that there’s a hint of joy in the holiday season compared to rest of the year.

Volunteering time towards a good cause around Christmas time proves to be a rewarding experience for those involved. It’s a great opportunity to connect with community and come together during the holidays. In the local Belvidere and Rockford areas, there are plenty of opportunities to serve those in need or chances to volunteer at special holiday events during the season. As well as adding hours to your Key Club or NHS time sheets, volunteering sparks a sense of joy in life that can better one’s life and the lives of those around them.

A variety of local opportunities to volunteer around the holidays, along with dates, times, and contact information are listed below. Grab some friends and volunteer together!

Stroll on State– Saturday, November 24 (all day): Stroll on State is an annual family-friendly event that takes place on State St. in Rockford. This kick-off to Christmas starts with a 5K race (Dasher Dash), and includes a parade, live music, Christmas tree lighting, fireworks, hot chocolate, and more. Volunteers are needed to set up, clean up, and help out at different activities throughout the afternoon and evening. If interested, use this link for more information and to sign up. Volunteers ages 12-15 must volunteer with an adult, and if you are 16 or 17, a parent permission slip is required to volunteer. 

Discovery Center– Friday, November 23th, Saturday, November 24, Wednesday, December 26- Sunday, December 30, Monday, December 31: Rockford’s Discovery Center puts on several family events for children throughout the year that require youth volunteers to help out. These events, focused on holiday-related science and engineering, include Grincy Green Science, Holiday Hoopla, and Countdown to Fun. Key Club volunteers at the Discovery Center throughout the year, but students not involved in Key Club are welcome to sign up. Talk to Mrs. Foster in room 2507 or send her an email at [email protected] if you are interested in signing up.

Salvation Army Bell Ringing– Putting change into the red kettle is common around Christmas time, and the Belvidere Salvation Army is in need of volunteers to bell ring at one of the participating locations in Belvidere or Poplar Grove. Some clubs at BNHS have set up a day to split up shifts for bell ringing, but it is also an option to sign up individually with your family or friends. This link has the locations and times of the shifts needed if you are interested in volunteering. Ringing is a fun and easy community service opportunity that only takes a couple of hours, and works perfectly for a small group.

Window Painting– Hometown Christmas is going to be on Friday, December 7, and the windows in all of the shops on State Street are reserved for Christmas paintings. Several BNHS groups, including Student Council, Best Buddies, and NHS, are painting the windows on Saturday, December 1. This is a great opportunity to share your creativity and display your Christmas spirit through art for the community to see at this traditional event.

Don’t have a large block of time to volunteer but would like to make a difference in our community this holiday season? Here are some suggestions:

Adopt-an-Angel– The Angel Tree foundation, through Salvation Army, is a great way to serve the community in your own time, as you can shop in your available time. Several clubs at North offer tickets for children in need to buy gifts for them for Christmas. Gifts should be turned in wrapped with the ticket attached. More information can be found here.

Toys for Tots– This organization, presented by the U.S. Marine Corps, is accepting toys for children in need to be distributed for Christmas. There are several drop off centers in local areas, including Heritage Woods in Belvidere. Donated toys need to be new and unwrapped, and are being collected through the end of December. More information, and sites to donate at, can be found here

Volunteering is an excellent way to give back to the community, and there are plenty more ways to get involved this holiday season. Making a difference for someone else’s life is something that they will never forget. People may forget what you do, but they will never forget how it made them feel.