Is Black Friday worth it?

Is Black Friday worth it?

Yasmin Vizguerra, Reporter

Many Americans spend their Thanksgiving break by feasting on a lot of food and then going shopping the one day of the year where everything is “cheaper than dirt” , but is it actually worth it?

Black Friday has so much stigma built around it with people wanting to buy things that are typically very expensive at lower prices. But there’s also a lot of dangers that come with it. I don’t know about you but by watching a lot of Black Friday horror videos, it’s made me dread that day of the year.

First of all, people camp out just to get those special deals, taking it to the extreme by doing everything in their power to make sure they’re at the front of the line.

Secondly, depending on the amount of people who show up to the stores, once those doors open, everyone pushes and shoves to get it. Not really worrying if they step on someone who may have fallen because they want to be able to snag a cheap deal on the flat screen TV.

Aside from that, when people participate in Black Friday shopping, they’re usually at the stores by the early morning hours, shopping until they drop, or until they don’t have enough arm to hold all the bags. I won’t be the first to admit that I love shopping, but Black Friday stresses me out.

There’s so many people fighting you on what they saw first or grabbed first and those people are so frustrating when they make the excuse of ‘I saw it first’ when it was in my hand, like get over yourself, you can take it.

“I think that Black Friday is the one time of the year you can buy a lot of things and no one will question you because they’re all doing the same thing, shopping with deals,” said Mariana Cardoso (‘19).

With the stigma of Black Friday being this glorious event, it’s really not.

People think they’re getting a deal but they actually aren’t when you think of it, retailers usually use buzzwords to trick you into buying things.

I remember seeing a sign that said ‘buy three for the price of three.’ You’re literally buying three for their prices they were originally sold for…

Most retailers also use the same deals from the previous year and even have their prices “reduced” when in fact you didn’t have to pay $50 for that sweater when you could easily pay $25 any other day of the year with coupons and when things are on sale.

And you could also get a better deal during the week than on Black Friday…and you don’t even have to leave your house.

Typically when you go online to a store’s website, throughout that whole weekend, there’s deals that are probably more worth your time than fighting that 48-year old woman at Kohl’s who has no issue wrestling someone half her age for that Kitchen Aid mixer.

Large retailers also begin to raise the prices of their products starting in June so that by the time Black Friday rolls around, they can discount the prices back to what it was, tricking you into thinking it’s a steal.

“I didn’t actually care for the holiday but now that I found out what the “deals” are, it’s made me really think about what I’m buying on Black Friday,” said Sidney Smith (‘20).

So is this “holiday” worth the many tribulations people go through just to get what they think is a deal?