Early Action for Seniors

Katie Konen, Entertainment Editor

Want a better chance of getting into the college of your dreams? If yes, early action will be the right path for you.

Early action is a type of early admission process for colleges and universities in the United States. Unlike the regular admission process, early action usually requires students to submit an application by October 15 or November 1 of their senior year of high school instead of January 1.  You will most likely hear back from the colleges in mid-December. Hopefully, the news will make for a happy new year.

“In my opinion, early action is the most flexible way to apply early. If you are accepted, you are not required to attend,” said Joey Paddock (‘19).

Even though it is slim, students have a better percentage, even if it might be 1-2%, of being accepted if they apply early decision.  Early action often does not offer a higher acceptance rate but provides the benefit of learning early what the admission decision from colleges are.

Can you be deferred from early action?  Students will be denied early in the process if the admissions committee feels the candidate is not competitive enough.  Even though you are deferred, your application will be held and considered with the rest of the school’s regular decision applications.  So there is a bright side.

Some people tend to think their grades besides first semester don’t matter, but your grades still matter.  Just because colleges may only see your first semester grades doesn’t mean that the rest of the year doesn’t matter.  Colleges always look over your grades from all four years of high school, even if colleges don’t see senior year grades right away.

The website below is the complete list of schools with early action, organized alphabetically by State.  For example, some popular schools include the University of Chicago, the University of Michigan, Notre Dame, Boston College, and Villanova.  You can search for your school of interest by state, or hit ctrl + F on your keyboard and type in the first couple of letter of the school and you will be brought right to it.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/early-action-schools-and-colleges-complete-list

Although early action comes with pressure to decide and time crunch for other applications, it reduces stress by cutting the time waiting for a decision, saves time and expense of submitting other multiple applications, and you gain more time, once accepted, to look for housing and otherwise prepare for college.