Beat the Tradition Not the Competition

Beat the Tradition Not the Competition

Lily Bakulski, Sports Editor

The coed competitive cheer season is now underway at Belvidere North High School and the boys and girls are ready to take home yet another state trophy. Seven-time conference champs, four-time sectional champs, and back-to-back state champs is something that was accomplished by the coed varsity cheer team in the 2017-18 season. They hope to take home these titles again and stay in the number one spot for Illinois cheer.

The cheer teams at North will first undergo choreography which is learned in three days. The teams will then practice their routines and stunts, for about a month, until the competitions start.

“I’m really excited for choreography this weekend. I can’t wait to see what our routine will be like and how the team is going to work together this year,” Sophie Dutz (‘20).

At Belvidere North, there are three teams; varsity, large JV and small JV. All three teams are coed and the varsity team consists of five boys: Joel Cordonnier (‘20), Brody Henry (‘20)  Deoveon Willingham (‘19), Pedro Sanchez (‘20), and Gio Piloni (‘20).

December 2 came fast and Belvidere North headed to Crystal Lake Central for their first competition for the season. There, they started their season off taking the first place trophy home. Their raw score was 90 points, but they lost three points because of deductions. Their final score was 87 and they won by 16 points.

Belvidere North’s famous Coed Challenge will be held on December 14. This is when cheer teams from around the region travel to North to compete against each other for the Coed Challenge Champion title. Belvidere North has taken the championship title home two years in a row and they did just that taking home the first place trophy three years in a row. Their raw score was 94.4, but they were deducted one full point which brought their official score to 93.4.

“The Coed Challenge is probably one of the funnest competitions because the crowd is so wild,” said Brody Henry (‘20).

All levels will be competing at Buffalo Grove High School on Sunday, January 6 and at Grayslake North on Saturday, January 12. JV will also be competing at Rolling Meadows, Lake Zurich and Huntley High School this season.

Varsity will head to Oak Forest for a competition on Sunday, January 13. They then will start getting ready for their conference competition on Thursday, January 17, which will be hosted by Jefferson High School. Varsity sectionals will then be held a week later on Saturday, January 26. The times for both conference and sectionals will be announced when the dates start to get closer. Come on out this winter and support your back to back state champions!!