Yellow Vest Protests in the streets of France

Citlalli Perez, News Editor

On November 17, protestors took to the streets of France in regards to the nearly 20 percent increase in fuel prices, little to no funding in global warming issues, and the newly elected French President Emmanuel Macron. These French protesters have earned a name for themselves “the yellow vests” as they wear distinguishable jackets that could be seen from miles away in mods of protests groups.

Yellow vests have not only been seen blocking off streets and roundabouts, retaliation against police forces but as well as the burning of President Macron effigies, models of particular people meant to be damaged during a protest. The valiant efforts of the yellow vest have not dwindled but have continued to grow mass attention.  

“I believe that the “gilets Jaunes” movement is for them as it is for us like the civil rights movement. It’s showing an opinion in the humanity of wanting their dreams to be heard and making an impact. I can see why the French are aggravated with the fuel tax prices and carbon tax prices,” said Diana Leones (‘19).

When President Emmanuel Macron announced for a planned fuel tax hike, the people of France were infuriated with his continual proposition of benefits for only wealthy elite and not taking into consideration the lives of the working class. Though Macron’s proposal on fuel tax wasn’t implemented as a result of the growing rage of protests, the tension between government and “yellow vest” was yet to be calmed. French citizens are at a search for what they had been promised when Marcon was first elected as president: redistribution of wealth, minimum wages, and social justice.

The Yellow vest movements have paved the way for French citizens to receive a voice in politics and anything in the matter. From the countless insults made by Macron directed to the working, lower, and even the middle classes’ status, French people have turned from political issues to fair shake.  

The 2017 Presidental Election called for a new face in the political realm of France and the people of France were growing restless of the same, tradition politicians running for the presidency. Macron was the founder of a new political party founded in 2016, The Republic In March! and previously was the Minister of the Economy, Industry, and Digital Affairs, earning a name in economics and politics; Macron’s credentials helped earn his vote from the people.

The people of France found his youth and experience in the economy as a way to bring attention to problems financially and environmentally. The results of the 2017 French Presidental election ruled that Emmanuel Macron had won 66.1 percent of the overall votes to National Front’s candidate Marine Le Pen’s 33.9 percent votes. 41-year-old Macron was the new face of the French empire and visions of a “New World Order.”

“Although the French were well within their rights to protest such a tax when they were already struggling financially, hower the destruction that they caused really blew things out of proportion. It’s really more of a riot than a protest at this point,” said Sarahi Acosta (‘20)

Almost directly after his presidential election, Marcon amended a wealth tax, also known as “ISF” and meaning the tax on real estate assets would be lowered rather than protecting a worldwide asset. Instead of calling a Macron a “president of the people,” he is seen as the “president for the rich.”

Although the protests in the street of France have yet to cease, and the numerous acts of violence increase such as French people withdrawing all of their assets from banks to corrupt the banking system and economy. The yellow vest will do anything in their power to rid of President Macron and his unethical laws.