Chicago’s “Double Doink” Ends a Great Season

CHICAGO, IL - AUGUST 10:  Mitchell Trubisky #10 of the Chicago Bears passes against the Denver Broncos during a preseason game at Soldier Field on August 10, 2017 in Chicago, Illinois. The Broncos defeated the Bears 24-17.  (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images) ORG XMIT: 700069842

CHICAGO, IL - AUGUST 10: Mitchell Trubisky #10 of the Chicago Bears passes against the Denver Broncos during a preseason game at Soldier Field on August 10, 2017 in Chicago, Illinois. The Broncos defeated the Bears 24-17. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images) ORG XMIT: 700069842

Getty

Getty

Getty

Caden Brannan, Reporter

The Chicago Bears were having the best season in over a decade and they were trying to make a push into the playoffs. They were set to play the Philadelphia Eagles in the first round of the playoffs. The Bears were a 6.5-point favorite to win their first playoff game in eight years.

The first half was slow offensively as both teams combined for nine points. The Eagles started off strong and marched down the field on the Bears with their first possession. Even with a strong drive, the Bears were able to hold them to a field goal. After holding the Eagles to only three points, the Bears were still unable to find the endzone in the first quarter. And Mitch Trubisky had a slow start to the game completing only three of his first seven passes.

The struggles continued for both teams as they went into the second quarter, but the Bears were able to put two good drives together. Unfortunately, they were not able to find the endzone and they had to settle for two field goals. Luckily, the Bears defense did not allow the Eagles to get much going offensively and held the Eagles scoreless in the second quarter.

And the second half was no different from the rest of the game, both teams offense struggled while their defense continued to stay strong. The Bears defense was able to force three fumbles that they were able to recover. While the Eagles defense was able to intercept Mitch Trubisky two different times throughout the game. And those turnovers allowed the Eagles offense to get going in the second half. They finally had a drive where they were able to find the endzone to make the game 10-6. But they were unable to answer in the third quarter as they put up another scoreless quarter.

The Bears had the ball in the fourth quarter and they were starting to put a drive together behind Mitch Trubisky’s arm. Even after the slow start, he still ended with 303 passing yards and one passing touchdown. Trubisky connected with Bears’ wide receiver Allen Robinson for a touchdown in the fourth quarter. The Bears were unable to add on the two-point conversion, but an additional field goal put them up 15-10. The Eagles would respond with a touchdown of their own with only 56 seconds left in the game. Nick Foles connected with Golden Tate for a two-yard touchdown. The game looked like it was over for the Bears, but Tarik Cohen returned the kickoff to midfield to set up the Bears with great field position. And after a couple completed passes from Trubisky, the Bears were setting up to win the game on a 43 yard Cody Parkey field goal. Parkey made his first one but the Eagles called their last timeout prior to the snap of the ball. And with ten seconds left, Parkey lined up for the most important play of the bears season. Cody Parkey’s potential game-winning kick went off of the left upright and then the crossbar. The NFL later reviewed the film and determined that the kick was tipped. Either way, the Eagles still won 16-15 to advance to the second round of the playoffs.