Upcoming Disney Movies of 2019

Upcoming Disney Movies of 2019

Aladdin, The Lion King, and Dumbo are three Disney classics being made into live-action productions this year.

Anna Hulstedt, Features Editor

Disney is one of the world’s most well-known movie production companies, spanning from Mickey Mouse to The Lion King, and to a broad list of new movies that are coming out throughout 2019. The list includes several sequels, as well as a few new stories to excite movie fans. Below is a list of Disney movies coming out throughout the year, click on the movie titles listed to view their respective trailers.

Captain Marvel (March 8): Captain Marvel, played by Brie Larson, is the hero when it comes to fighting back against two alien races in a galactic war. Throughout the comics, Captain Marvel has allied with the Avengers, and now she gets a movie of her own. The film is set in the 1990s, before appearances of Captain America or Iron Man. 

Dumbo (March 29): The real-life version of this Disney classic comes out in March, 78 years after the original debuted in 1941. Dumbo entails the story of a circus family struggling to make money, until Dumbo, the flying elephant, was brought to the circus.

Penguins (April 19): Disney Nature’s newest movie will premiere the weekend right before Earth Day. Steve, an Adélie penguin, joins with millions of other penguins travelling in the Antarctic to find mates and start families. The story follows the difficulties of penguins as they search for food, mates, and avoid dangerous situations with predators.

Aladdin (May 24): Aladdin will continue to follow the trend of recreating Disney movies with real-life action such as Cinderella (2015), The Jungle Book (2016), or The Beauty and Beast (2017). Mena Massoud plays Aladdin, Naomi Scott is Jasmine, and Will Smith is the Genie.

Toy Story 4 (June 21): A much-loved Pixar story continues this summer, as Andy was left going off to college and gave his beloved toys to the daughter of the daycare owner where the toys escaped from in Toy Story 3. A more detailed trailer is likely to be coming soon about the movie’s plot. 

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5): In Spider-Man: Far From Home, Peter Parker is recruited to team up with Mysterio to fight off the Elementals when on a school trip in Europe. The movie’s setting in somewhere other than New York will provide different challenges and obstacles for Parker. 

The Lion King (July 29): One of Disney’s most popular movies of all time returns to the big screen in a live-action version later this summer, continuing the trend of Disney remakes of animated classics. The original came out in 1994, and Lion King fans await its debut to see how it stacks up with a classic favorite. 

Artemis Fowl (August 9): Disney’s new sci-fi adventure follows the story of Artemis Fowl, a twelve-year old genius that sets out to find the cause of his father’s disappearance. He kidnaps a “fairy LEPrechaun” officer to help search for his missing father and reestablish their family fortune. (Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXIBep9uFjl)

Frozen 2 (November 22): Many fans of Disney’s Frozen have been excitedly awaiting a sequel to follow one of the most popular Disney films of all times, after Frozen made its debut in 2013. Frozen 2 comes out right around Thanksgiving, and will engage movie-goers on a journey with Elsa, Anna, Olaf, and Kristoff to discover a secret about their kingdom. Disney hasn’t released much information, or a trailer, but have said there will be seven new Frozen songs throughout the movie.

Star Wars Episode IX (December 20): The still-to-be-named closing episode of the well-known galactic trilogy ends this year. Episode IX is expected to be a hit, and viewers hope for some answers from previous films and some exciting action. This film is also far out, and no trailers have been released yet.

Regardless of your favorite series, films, genres, or production studios, it’s likely you may find yourself enjoying a Disney movie at the theaters at some point this year.