North’s Dance Competes at Nic-10 Conference

Citlalli Perez, News Editor

Four invitationals, a few basketball halftime performances, and endless after-school practices all to showcase a performance at the NIC-10 Dance Conference. Belvidere North’s girl’s dance team have gone through the process of new coaches in the 2018-2019 winter season, and have brought with them the goal of improving and build up the girl’s confidence, bond to teammates, and their execution when performing.

Belvidere North’s dance team has improved throughout the years since the establishment of the school back in 2007, with returning and retiring coaches and dancers. Graduated members of the dance team have paved the way for newcomers with their experience in the sport.

To recap the girl’s dance season, they started off with a rocky performance at the Lake Zurich Invite, where they typically compete against high schools that consists of experienced dancers. A week later, December 8, the girls traveled to the Waubonsie Valley Invite where the varsity level placed sixth out of 13 schools, the highest they’d ever placed in school history.

One of the pavements includes the legacy of NIC-10 conference dances. Belvidere North’s dance team have gained their attention over the past years, especially during last years season when the girls were declared fifth place winners. Little knew, but fifth place was the highest placement in the school’s history.  

Current varsity head coach Katie Zitzke was asked back in December of her goals for NIC-10 this year, “I would love to score in the top 3 of the NIC-10 competition. Winning within the conference would truly reward the girls for how hard they work at every practice. I want the other NIC-10 schools to know that Belvidere North is a force to be reckoned with.”

East High School hosted the NIC-10 competition on January 10. The final standings go as follows: Harlem (83.67) in first, Freeport (83.10), East (78.97), Hononegah (76.96), and in fifth Boylan (73.03). Belvidere North’s dance team faced challenging obstacles throughout the season and a defeat at conference. Expecting to place in the top three, Belvidere North didn’t qualify in the top five. Beating teams throughout the season such as East, the girls placed sixth out of the eight teams.

“While our placing disappointed us, we all worked very hard, had fun, and performed our hearts out,” said Precious Lopez (’20).

The girls await IHSA Sectionals on January 19 hosted by East High School and have yet to perform at five home basketball games in the coming weeks.

“In terms of next season, we expect to place higher and work even harder,” said Lopez. With the return of both JV and Varsity coaches, the girls are more determined than ever to make a strong comeback.