Why are January movies so bad?

Why are January movies so bad?

If studios aren't confident in movies like this, maybe they shouldn't get made at all.

Will Sieracki, Reporter

For as long as anyone can remember, the summertime was when all the big blockbuster movies of the year came out. Thanksgiving and Christmas are also popular times for studios to release the movies that they’re confident will hit big, or the movies trying to get some recognition at the Oscars. But for some reason, the majority of the bad movies of the year are almost always released in January or February.

Examples of this are very easy to find. Films this year include melodramatic garbage like A Dog’s Way Home and bad 1990s-esque science fiction like Keanu Reeves’ Replicas. Past years are littered with Ride Along, Ride Along 2, and you get the idea by now. There are plenty of theories as to why all the trash is dumped in January and February.  People don’t want to shell out cash to go see a movie right after spending ridiculous amounts of money during Christmas season, especially with how expensive movies can be for some people. The end of Christmas season also signifies a sharp decline in the amount of free time people have with everyone heading back into work. Wintery weather can also be a huge factor in someone’s decision to go out and see a movie or to just stay home where it’s warm and watch Netflix, for example.

But not all these early year movies are bad, though. Some more notable movies released in the early year include Get Out, Black Panther, and Split. The release of these three well-received, money-making films in the dumping ground of the year shows that studios and distributors are potentially shifting away from whole months of throwaways. Which, ultimately, is good for all of us. There’s nothing wrong with good movies being made and released in the first two months of the year. I just hope that this trend continues and we don’t get stuck with more drivel like the things that have been released so far this year.