North’s Boys Basketball Gets a Key Win

North’s Boys Basketball Gets a Key Win

CHRIS ANDERSON

CHRIS ANDERSON

CHRIS ANDERSON

Caden Brannan, Reporter

Belvidere North Boys Basketball has had one of the toughest stretches of their schedule over the past few weeks. Their first game back from Christmas break was home against Auburn. The game was close throughout the first half, North was able to get enough stops to start the game and John Carlson (’20) was consistently scoring. But even with the stops and Carlson’s scoring, North still found themselves down 20-27 going into halftime. North knew that they had turned the ball over too much in the first half with 10 turnovers. They were able to limit their second half turnovers to only six and they consistently got stops. With the reduced turnovers and the great defense, North was able to crawl back into the game. And with 45 seconds left, John Carlson’s and-1 layup gave North the lead. The free throw capped off a 21 point game for Carlson. North played great defense in the last 30 seconds and forced Auburn to turn the ball over. Zach Reidenbach (‘20) sealed the game with free throws and North won 48-43.

After a hard fought win on Wednesday, North had to travel to Harlem, who was the second ranked team in the NIC-10. North was able to jump out to a quick 9-2 lead in the first couple of minutes. North knew they had to keep the same intensity because of Harlem’s ability to score quickly. The game was close the whole first half, but North still found themselves down 22-29 at halftime. It was a back and forth game, but Holden Paddock’s (‘20) 17 points and John Carlson’s (‘20) 22 points kept North within striking distance. And with three minutes left in the game North scored to cut the lead to one. But late in the game when North had to foul, Harlem made their free throws. North ended up losing 60-56.

And after a tough week of games, North had to play at Hononegah on Wednesday. It was a slow offensive game for both teams in the first half but Hononegah got hot in the last two minutes of the half. North went into halftime down 11-23. North was never able to consistently score in the second half and they suffered a tough loss 30-50.    

North will be at Jefferson High School for their MLK tournament, and they will open up with Chicago Lindblom, who is ranked 6th in the class of 3A. North will also play Marian Central Catholic, Milwaukee Bay-View, and Winnebago.