The ‘Thank U, Next’ Era

The ‘Thank U, Next’ Era

Priscila Chavez, Reporter

Its been about six months since Ariana Grande’s fourth album, Sweetener was released back in August. But, Grande has already proposed on releasing her fifth album which will be called the Thank U, Next album. Which can be pre-ordered but will be out to the public on February eight.

So far only three songs are out right now. But there are nine other songs which still have yet to be broadcast. Those songs include needy, NASA, bloodline, fake smile, bad idea, make up, ghostin, in my head, and, break up with your girlfriend I’m bored.

One of the many songs on the TUN album is called ‘7 rings.’ The single was released the same day as the music video came out on January 17 via Youtube and other platforms such as Spotify and Apple Music.

“I think this is going to be one her best eras to date. ‘7 rings’ was THAT song and Ariana did THAT,” said Mariana Cardoso (‘19).

The ‘7 rings’ music video starts off with Grande and six of her ‘b*tches’ posing in front of a pink aesthetic house along with pink cars. The video just contains her and her friends dancing around and feeding off of each other’s energy. Which should be a mood for all of 2019. The video was directed by Hannah Lux Davis and Produced by Brandon Bonfiglio. Grande has well worked with Davis and Bonfiglio in the past as both of them were also apart of the TUN music video also.

“I really liked the music video and the song was just as good, it was what I expected to hear from her, it just all seemed to go perfectly with each other,” said Lesley Melendez (‘19).

Although Ariana stans were hyped about how good the music video and the song was, some people weren’t happy about it. Grande was accused of stealing lyrics, vibes, and the “flow” from various artists. She was accused of stealing lyrics from a rapper known as “Princess Nokia” form one of her songs called Mine. Nokia’s lyrics go as “it’s mine, I bought it” and Grande’s version goes as “I see it, I like it, I want it, I got it,” both lyrics do sound very similar but both Nokia and Grande’s songs also sound quite similar to Soulja Boy’s Pretty Boy Swag from eight years ago. 2 Chainz also hopped on the bandwagon by getting comparisons from his song called Spend it. But then two weeks later Grande and Tauheed Epps or known as the stage name “2 Chainz” came out with a remix of ‘7 rings’ that contains both Grande and Epps rapping in the song. With that ending their supposed “beef’ and accusations.