North Makes History With Win Over Auburn

Alan_Mohring

Alan_Mohring

Alan_Mohring

Caden Brannan, Reporter

After North suffered a stretch of tough losses they looked to bounce back with games against Guilford and Boylan. They travelled to Guilford for the first game of the week, North started off strong as they were up 15-6 at the end of the first quarter. But after the first quarter North struggled to score, they went into halftime only up 19-18. North’s offensive struggles continued through the second half, but they were able to get the necessary stops on defense to keep them in the game. North was down six with just under two minutes left in the game, they had two shots and had a chance to cut the lead to three. But neither of those shots fell throw and North lost 40-32.

North new their next game was going to be a challenge as they hosted Boylan. North started off strong again as they jumped out to an early 7-1 lead. North was up at the end of the first quarter 7-4. Both teams struggled to score in the second quarter, North went into halftime down 9-12. The offensive struggles continued for both teams in the second half. It was a combination of very good defense from both teams, as well as the offensive struggles. But Boylan was able to make a small run in the third quarter and jumped out to a ten point lead. North made a come back behind a 14 point fourth quarter. And with ten seconds left they found themselves down by six. North had several threes that didn’t go down and North lost 36-30.

After North lost several big games in a row, they knew that they had to get something going as they neared the end of the year. They had to go to Auburn, which was a place that North had never won at before. North was in control of the game from the start, as they were up 11-7 at the end of the first quarter. The second quarter was more of the same as North went into halftime up 27-20. North’s lead was built behind the scoring of Holden Paddock(‘20) and Zach Reidenbach(‘20). Paddock ended the game with 15 points and Reidenbach scored 18 points. In the first minutes of the second half, North was able to stretch the lead to 13. And they went into the fourth quarter up by eight. But Auburn didn’t stop playing and they made a run late in the fourth to take the lead by two. North was able to tie the game after Reidenbach scored on a fastbreak layup. And North was able to get stops and make free throws late in the game, which gave them the win 57-53. This year was the first time in school history that North had ever beat Auburn, swept Auburn, or beat Auburn at Auburn.