AP Tests: How to Register

AP tests are organized and made by College Board, the same company that designs the SAT test that all juniors in Illinois take in the spring.

Anna Hulstedt, Features Editor

As February is coming to a close, many students look forward to the upcoming spring break, prom, spring sports, and finishing off the school year in just a couple months. Spring also brings the SAT for juniors as well as AP testing for any students in AP classes.

Advanced placement classes are courses offered at many schools, including North, that provide students with college level work in order to prepare for an exam at the end of the school year that can potentially give high school students college credit. For instance, if a student scores well on their AP test, certain colleges will accept their test score in exchange for college credit. This way, high school students receive good preparation for rigorous college courses and can potentially save money on college classes if they do well enough on the AP exam.

Although AP tests can be expensive to take, a good score can save a lot of money in the long run. Therefore, studying and preparing for these tests proves to be very beneficial for students that are able to waiver out of college courses because of their AP test performance.

Each AP test costs $94.00, unless the student is eligible for free and reduced lunch. In that case, the test is only $15.00. Next school year, the AP tests will be $15.00 each for all students.

AP tests take place during the second two weeks of May, from May 6 to May 16. Each day during these two school weeks, there are one or two AP tests that are proctored at North. Below is a list of the AP tests available, with dates for when they will be given.

Registration for AP exams is due on Friday, March 8 to the Student Services office. In order to register, students must pick up a registration form from Student Services to fill out. The registration form and a check made out to BNHS must be turned in together.

AP tests are scored on a scale from 1 to 5. A score of 1 means “no recommendation” and a score of 5 indicates “extremely well qualified”. Receiving a 3 is a passing score. Certain colleges accept different scores. All Illinois state universities are required to accept a 3. On the other hand, some private colleges or Ivy League type of schools will require a 4 or 5 to exchange for college credit.

Before taking an AP test, students should consider colleges of interest and their score potential for the AP test. It is not required for AP students to take all or any of their AP tests, but is recommended by most teachers of these classes, as the courses have focused on preparation for the exams throughout the year.

Below is a list of all of the AP dates for the tests in May. If you have any more questions about the exams, or need to pick up your registration form, visit the Student Services office. Once again, the forms are due on Friday, March 8.

Date Day Exam Test Time
May 6 Monday US Government

Environmental Science

8:00 am

12:00 pm

May 7 Tuesday Physics 1 12:00 pm
May 8 Wednesday English Literature & Composition 8:00 am
May 9 Thursday Chemistry

Psychology

8:00 am

12:00 pm

May 10 Friday US History 8:00 am
May 13 Monday Biology

Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism

8:00 am

2:00 pm

May 14 Tuesday Calculus AB

Calculus BC

8:00 am

8:00 am

May 16 Thursday World History

Statistics

8:00 am

12:00 pm