North Boys and Girls Indoor Track

Caden Brannan, Reporter

Belvidere North Boys and Girls indoor track season have just started. The boys opened up the year with a meet at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside. The meet was loaded with good teams and North knew it would be a very competitive meet. North was able to beat out a couple of teams and they finished in 14th place in the meet. North’s highest individual placement was Natt Williams (‘19), who placed 5th in the 55 meter dash. North also had top 10 placements from Zander Casis (‘20) in the 800 meter run and Max Beutel (‘20) in the 1600 meter run. Cal Taylor (‘20) also took eighth in the 55 meter hurdles while Andrin Fahrig (‘20) tied for ninth in high jump. North’s 4×800 relay also took ninth place out of 24 teams.

After a long break, North finally got to the conference meet at Auburn High School. This meet was nothing like their last one, North took second place with a 20 point cushion. They were led by Josh Triplett(‘20) and Hayden Zaluckyj(‘21). Josh Triplett took first place in long jump with a distance of 20-07.50, which was six inches further than second place. This jump was enough to break the previous indoor varsity record at North. He also broke his own school record with a second place finish in triple jump and he finished fourth in the 400 meter dash. Hayden Zaluckyj took first in high jump with a height of 5-06.00.North had Zach Sederquist(‘19), and Andrin Fahrig in the top ten for high jump. Allen Johnson(‘22) and Elliot Powers were able to take fifth and seventh in long jump. Matt Albrecht(‘19) and Kyle Kaempfer(‘20) also placed fourth and ninth in triple jump. North also had top 10 finishes from Elliot Powers and Natt Williams in 60 meter dash, while Myles Vening(‘19) took seventh in the 400 meter dash. North also had four distance runners place in the top 10 in their events, Caden McNulty(‘22) placed 10th in the 800 meter run and Max Beutel took fifth in the 1600 meter run. And in the 3200 meter run Nick Lenzen(‘22) placed seventh and Steve Brown(‘20) placed ninth. And in the 60 meter hurdles Cal Taylor, Aleczander Hodzic(‘20), Andrin Fahrig, Matt Albrecht, and Christian Molosz(‘20) all placed in the top 10. And all three of North’s relay teams placed in the top four of their event. North also got contributions from Michael Standish(‘19) and Jonathon Powell(‘19) in shot put. Michael Standish(‘19) took second place and Jonathon Powell took 10th place.

After only having two meets, North was looking forward to going to Huntley High School for one last meet. Their top performances came from Cal Taylor, who took fifth in hurdles, Hayden Zaluckyj and Zach Sederquist, who both tied for seventh in high jump. Other top 10 finishes came from Elliot Powers in the 60 meter dash, Dakota Westman(‘20) who took fifth in pole vault and Michael Standish also placed in the top 10 in shot put. And Josh Triplett placed ninth in high jump and triple jump. All three of North’s relay teams placed in sixth place or better.

While the boys finished up there long meet at UW-Parkside, the girls were getting ready for their first meet of the season the following day. They headed out to Huntley High School to compete against other top schools like Barrington, Harlem, and Huntley. As a team, North did very good as they finished in sixth out of 14 teams. They had multiple top 10 individual finishes, with the highest finishes going to Haley Dahl (‘19) and Madison Diercks (‘20). Dahl just missed first place in the 60 meter hurdles by two-hundredths of a second and she also took sixth in long jump. And Diercks just missed first place in high jump by two inches. Ayanna Wallace (‘20), Caitlin Carso (‘20), Gloria Oteng-Bediako (‘22), Katie Luna (‘20), and Sydnie Elder (‘21) all placed in the top 10 in their running events. Oteng-Bediako was also North’s only girl to place in the top 10 in triple jump, she took ninth out of 30. And all three of North’s relay teams placed in the top nine. In shot put, Sarah Hulstedt (‘20) and Paige Lambright (‘20) took fourth and fifth place at the meet. North was able to get two top 10 finishes in pole vault as Kayla Hesano (‘21) took fifth place and Emily Dodeler (‘20) took ninth place.

North’s girls track looked to keep the momentum rolling as they headed to Auburn High School for their second meet of the year. North was able to come in second out of 18 as a team, the only team that they lost to was a very good West Aurora team. North had a strong showing at long jump as they secured first and second place in the event. Oteng-Bediako took first with a jump of 35-09.00 and Diercks took second with a jump of 35-07.50. Diercks took fifth in high jump as well. North also gained points as their 4×800 team took first place and their 4×400 team came in fifth place. Dahl also had a very good meet as she took second in the 400 meter and third in the 60 meter hurdles. North’s throwers also had a great meet as they had two throwers place in the top four. Hulstedt took second and Lambright placed fourth out of 46 throwers. North continued to gain points as two distance runners placed in the top 10. Elder placed fifth in the 1600 meter and Chelsey Recendez (‘19) placed 10th in the 3200 meter. Corso also took fifth in the 800 meter.

North’s girls track had their eyes on a conference championship with their meet at Auburn, and they just barely missed it as they came in second behind Harlem. North was lead by Haley Dahl, Brookelyn Messenger(‘19),Emily Dodeler(‘20), and Madison Diercks. Haley Dahl had first place finishes in the 200 meter dash and the 60 meter hurdles, she also took third in the 60 meter dash. Brooklyn Messenger took first place in 400 meter run and she took second in high jump. Madison Diercks was able to take first in the 1600 meter run and triple jump, she also tied for third in high jump. Emily Dodeler was able to take first in pole vault. North also got contributions from Ayanna Wallace, who took ninth in the 200 meter dash and seventh in long jump. Sam Allen joined Dodeler at the top of pole vault as she took second place.Gloria Oteng-Bediako and Mackenzie Larsen both placed top 10 in the 400 meter run, while Sydnie Elder, Caitlin Corso, and Anna Hulstedt all placed in the top 10 in the 800 meter run. In addition to Diercks, North had Katie Luna and Natalie Horgan(‘21) place in the top 10 in the 1600 meter run.In the 3200 meter run North’s Chelsey Recendez and Samantha Slife each placed in the top 10. And Isabella Kazluski joined Dahl in the top 10 in the 60 meter hurdles. All three of North’s relay teams placed in the top six and the 4×800 relay took first. North also had two throwers, Paige Lambright and Sarah Hulstedt, in the top five for shot put. Gloria Oteng- Bediako also placed in the top 10 in triple jump.

North’s girls track had one more opportunity to build onto an already great indoor track season, they travelled to Burlington Central for their last meet of the season. As a team, North placed sixth out of 11 teams in the meet. Their best performances came from Sarah Hulstedt, who came in first in shot put, and Madison Diercks, who took second in high jump and fifth in triple jump. Paige Lambright joined Sarah Hulstedt in the top five in shot put. North also had two top five finishes in pole vault by Emily Dodeler and Anna Hornick(‘20). And Gloria Oteng-Bediako took fifth in long jump, sixth in triple jump and seventh in the 400 meter dash. North’s Ayanna Wallace also took sixth in the 60 meter dash. North’s 4x200 relay and 4×400 relay each placed in the top ten.

Both North boys and girls track teams look to build on their strong finishes as they start the outdoor season.