Should Prom Be For Every Grade?

Should Prom Be For Every Grade?

Prom is a formal dance held by a high school at the end of the academic year, typically for students in their junior or senior year.  Remembered as one of the greatest night’s of one’s life, prom is full of fun times with friends.  Unfortunately, the school event is not as nice as it sounds and a question of age always tends to come about: should underclassmen be allowed at prom?  The issue is not only debated at school and online, but often at family dinner tables. Parents typically tell their kids to wait and make the event special, but kids still look forward to the amazing night out with friends and possibly, a date.  So do underclassmen really belong at prom so early in their high school career.

Here at North, prom is only for Juniors and Seniors.  The only way a Sophomore or Freshman could attend is by getting asked by an upperclassmen. This is the way it has been for years at BNHS and this is the way it should stay.  

“As an underclassmen, I am really looking forward to attend prom my Junior and Senior year.  All though I wish I could go this year, I’m glad it gives me something to look forward to my last years of high school.  So, I believe prom should just be for upperclassmen,” said Isabella Andre (‘21).

Prom was first created to give seniors a chance to celebrate their last few days of high school and remember all the hard work it took to get there.  Shortly after, high school after high school began to change Senior Prom to Junior/Senior Prom, but many schools did not allow underclassmen to attend.  After all, prom was made to be a mature social event for upperclassmen in their last years of high school.

According to a 2015 survey from Visa, American families were spending an average of about $919 on their prom goers.  That was down only slightly from $978 in 2014; it peaked in 2013 with the average cost being about $1,139.

“In my opinion, prom should only be for upperclassmen.  I think of prom as an award for all the hard work students have put into their schoolwork.  Also, a lot of money goes into the event making it very expensive if you go all four years of high school.  So, I don’t think underclassmen belong at prom since it is just the start of their high school career,” said Jocie Horner (‘20).

Overall, prom is a special event that should stay exclusive to Juniors and Seniors only.