Olivia Jade College Admission Scandal

Olivia Jade College Admission Scandal

Olivia Jade and mother Lori Loughlin

Olivia Jade and mother Lori Loughlin

Olivia Jade and mother Lori Loughlin

Olivia Jade and mother Lori Loughlin

Citlalli Perez, News Editor

“All Olivia Jade wanted to do was to party and she was able to party elsewhere other than a college campus, “ said Jaqueline Garcia-Polanco (‘20).

College admission scandals have been around for decades. As the elite wealthy people and celebrities earn a name for themselves and their children continue to grow in age, donations of hundreds of thousands of dollars can be made to multiple colleges and universities, basically bribing their way into an Ivy League university.

Many will know her as the actress who played Aunt Becky from ABC’s television program, Full House, others may know her as Lori Loughlin, the mother who paid $500,000 to ensure her two daughters enrollment at University of Southern California. Loughlin married to fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli, the founder of a multi-million fashion company named Mossimo.

Olivia Jade Giannulli is no stranger to the spotlight as she gained attention on social media back at age 14. She records shopping hauls for her YouTube channel, over 1.9 million subscribers and posts plenty of O.O.T.D on Instagram to satisfy her 1.4 million followers. Alongside her own ideas and videos, Olivia Jade has vast opportunities for sponsorships; she is currently partnered with Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs Beauty, the SmileDirectClub, just to name a few.  

The 19-year old is now living in the most talked about college admission scandal to date that she wasn’t even aware of it. Olivia has received endless amounts of hatred and backlash when the rumors circulated through social media. Not only is Olivia paying a tremendous amount of hatred, but her mother Loughlin also served punishment as she was taken into custody by California authorities, but managed to be freed on a $1 million release.

In an August 2018 YouTube video, she told her subscribers, “I don’t know how much of school I’m going to attend. But I do want the experience of, like, game days, partying. … I don’t really care about school.” This statement inevitably resulted in Olivia’s initial backlash. Giannulli only went back to YouTube and made an apology video addressing what she had said in her previous video, “ …[it was] something super ignorant and stupid, basically, and it totally came across that I’m not grateful for college. I’m going to a really nice school. … I know it’s a privilege, and it’s a blessing, and I’m really grateful.”

Backtrack to the “college admission scandal”. Lori Loughlin had worked alongside William Rick Singer, the alleged mastermind behind the scandal who runs the college counseling business at Edge College. Singer had practically hinted at Olivia Jade to apply to USC as a member of the crew team in 2017, which she wasn’t a part of. Singer has taken pictures of Olivia outside some months before where he would allegedly photoshop her face on the body of an actual crew member.  

According to TMZ, both Giannulli sisters had withdrawn from USC, in fear of the response they would face when returning to campus. Olivia didn’t report to classes on the 14 because she was spending her vacation in the Bahamas.

As for public reaction towards the “scandal”, many YouTubers, some who even went to school with her, said that she is the reason getting accepted into a dream school is only a dream because the wealthy are always the top priority of college acceptance. The also stressed how corrupt the education system. Someone who had worked their entire schooling career hoping to get into a university be declined because a wealthy student may have taken their spot due to the amount of money they had provided to the school. The more contribution to the school, the higher the chance at your college acceptance. Regardless, Olivia Jade has received her backlash and has apologized to her fans. Olivia Jade may be the center of attention in this college scandal, but there are other factors that tie in as well.