The Return of the bubonic plague

The Return of the bubonic plague

Priscila Chavez, Reporter

When traveling to other countries and trying new foods from different cultures it can be fun. But when it leads to your death it ain’t really fun.

One couple, whose names couldn’t be revealed, traveled to Mongolia and ended up dying of bubonic plague after eating hunting and eating raw contaminated marmot, along with its kidney. Marmots which are large squirrels basically. The disease, which is highly contagious was spread by fleas living on the rodents. Yersinia pestis, the bacterium causing the plague, lives in infected animals, particularly rodents, and is usually spread by the fleas  Eating marmot in Mongolia is highly forbidden because of the dangers of eating it. Although some people tend to ignore the warnings as they believe that consuming large rodent is good for their health. But unfortunately, the married couple did end up dying after consuming it. The husband, 38 died on April 27, and the wife, 37 who was also pregnant died three days later. Leaving their four children behind.

“It is really tragic how one mistake they made together left their four children orphaned, It is also crazy how the cause of their death was because of the bubonic plague,” said Dalila Medina (‘19).

Because of the couple being on a plane to fly back home, 100 plus people had to be put under intensive medical supervision for days after being around the couple. 11 passengers were also held at the airport and sent to a hospital for inspection.

“I hope everyone who possibly could have gotten the infection gets treated because it is very contagious and we could all end up dead real soon and then it will be like ‘The Black Death’ all over again or the earth just falls apart,” said Jenny Martinez (‘19).

Swollen, painful lymph node, usually in the groin, armpit or neck, is the main symptom of the bubonic plague. Fever, chills, headache, and extreme exhaustion can also occur in a person.  And has the same symptoms as a fever early on in the beginning. Left untreated, the plague causes fever, vomiting, bleeding and open, infected sores and can kill a person in less than 24 hours.