Boys Soccer Going Strong

Boys Soccer Going Strong

Yasmin Vizguerra, Editor

Belvidere North’s soccer team started off the season with a win against Sterling, 3-0, at the Dekalb Tournament. Now that the season is almost coming to an end, the team is working harder and harder to end their season strong.

North’s core players for this season are Leo Rosas (‘20) midfielder, Eduardo Nunez (‘20) forward,  Raif Ramdass (‘20) defense, Aidan Westerburg (‘20) midfielder, Ryan Alt (‘20) defense, and Alexis Garcia (‘20) defense. 

The team played Boylan on Sept. 10 and lost 6-2.

At their non-conference away game against Hampshire on Sept. 12 the team lost with a final score of 4-1.

The team took home another loss after a tough game against Marian Central Catholic, the score ending in a close 1-0.

The biggest game of the season on Sept. 17  against the rival school in town, Belvidere High School. It was a hard fought game and a huge 2-1 victory for North. Once again, North athletics showed the community that they own the town. Gustavo Ramirez (’21) scored the winning goal in the second half.

“I think the season is going good, we had some tough losses but we’ve kept our heads up. We all hope to win conference and make the season the best we can,” said Eduardo Nunez (‘20).

The boy’s soccer team lost a their conference match against Guilford on Sept. 20, 1-0.

North managed to bounce back after that loss with a 1-0 victory of Jefferson High School.

On Sept. 24, the team went against Auburn, scoring four goals, and maintaining a shutout for the 4-0 victory. 

Their next game is Monday, Sept. 30 at 6:30 p.m. against Dixon, who are 10-2-1.

Overall, the boys soccer team is currently 5-6-2 and in 4th place in the NIC-10 after their win against Auburn.

“The season is going pretty well, we hope to get at least 3rd in conference and to get to playoffs,” said Aidan         Westerburg (‘20).

Regionals  will be held Oct. 23 – 26, where they will try to advance to sectional play.