Girls Cross Country

Girls Cross Country

Brynn Eubanks, Reporter

The Girls cross country team has competed in four meets this season and are still looking to hit their stride before the post season comes.

“A lot of new faces are brought to the team this year, so it’s been cool to see people run races for their first time.”Sydnie Elder says(21).

At there very first meet of 2019, the Varsity girls team placed 2nd at Crystal Lake. Madison Diercks (’20) led the way for North finishing in 4th place with a time for the three mile race in 20:08.80. Sydnie Elder finished in 10th place in 20:53.70. Caitlin Corso (’20) was North’s third runner with a finishing time of 21:35.80. The Jv Girls Cross Country team placed 8th out of 14 teams. 

For the NIC-10 Pre-Conference meet, Varsity took 1st place at Auburn High School. Madison Diercks took first place out of 56. Her time was 19:14.50 for the 3-mile run, with the Varsity girls team average of 20:04 at this meet.  Elder placed 3rd for North and Corso finished in 8th place. 

North’s third meet of the season was down in Peoria and would see the return of North’s standout Gianna Sagona (’20). This is the biggest meet of the year during the regular season for North and they went in trying to defend their 2018 Championship. Unfortunately North was without their top runner Madison Diercks and finished as a team in 5th place. Sagona led the way for North in 12th place with a time of 18:56. Elder was North’s next finisher at 19:32. 

North’s next meet was at Minooka and this is a “flighted” meet where each schools top 5 runners race head-to-head in separate heats. North had a full line-up for the first time this season and placed 5th as a team. Madison Diercks ran as North’s #1 and finished her heat in 5th place in a time of 19:11. Gianna Sagona ran as North’s #2 and finished in 5th place in her heat in a time of 19:11.  

The next upcoming race for North is the Rock River Run in Sterling. North heads into the meet as heavy favorites.