Girls Swim

Girls Swim

Olivia Frank, Reporter

The Belvidere North High School swim team competed in their first meet of the season Tuesday, September 3 at Rockford East High School. Everyone tried their best and had a lot of fun doing relays even though they did place in the top 3 teams. There was only 1 disqualification for the meet which Coach Torbert was happy with since it was the first meet with freshmen.

Their next meet as at  Woodstock North High School and North ended up finishing in sixth place. Sydney Wight (‘20) finished first in the 100 freestyle. The 200 freestyle team of Mikayla Gavina (‘20), Maddy Mclain (‘21), Sonya Mclain (‘23), and Sydney Wigh ended up finishing in first place in a very close race.

“This season is only at the beginning but I have a lot of hope for the season to keep going as well as it is. I am proud of my team and I hope to make my last season of swim the best one yet” says Alyssa Petersen (‘20).

There are many Senior girls on the varsity swim team this year, so they have been giving this season their all to make it the best one yet.

Wednesday, September 25, the girls competed in a double dual meet against Rockford East High School and Guilford High School. They beat East 133 to 38 and lost to Guilford 85 to 99. 

“So far the meets have gone really well. I am so proud of these girls” says Maddy Mclain.

The girls swim season has barely started and there are still many more meets to go. But the girls have high hopes for the rest of the season. 

Since conference, sectionals, regionals, and state are such a big deal, the girls have been training their hardest to make it to that and hopefully come away in first place. Every year only a few swimmers get to go to state and everyone is hopeful that this year it will be them. 

Varsity has a big meet coming up! The J-Hawk Invite is October 5. As well as the Auburn Invite on October 11. The freshmen and sophomores will be there to support and cheer on the team. There will be a big and sophomore meet at Boylan on October 7 as well. They are hoping for a big crowd of supporters.