PSAT Day

PSAT Day

Anne Rutherford, Reporter

The Belvidere North Preliminary SAT (PSAT) will be held on October 16. The PSAT is offered nationally every year. Like the SAT, it has two sections: Math and Evidence-Based Reading and Writing. The test consists of passage-based questions that are sometimes accompanied by charts, tables, and graphs. The math problems draw from algebra, geometry and a little bit of trigonometry.  

The underclassmen will report to different rooms depending on their last name. The testing period will be from 8:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. The exams will be overlooked by all teachers. More information will be provided closer to the test date. 

Here is a list of what to bring to the PSAT: 

1. A photo ID
  2. No. 2 pencils with erasers 
  3. An acceptable calculator – scientific calculator accepted, no graphing calculators (will be examined by proctor) 

A snack and water may be brought into the testing room, however must be placed on the ground near your desk and only to be used during breaks. 

What to NOT bring to the PSAT: 

1. Any electronic devices, such as phones, iPods, watches( watches with alarms not allowed)
  2. Books or dictionaries 
  3. Pens or any colored utensils

These objects listed above are highly prohibited, especially electronic devices. To make sure that no one gets an unfair advantage, staff are required to collect and hold the devices for the duration of the test. If devices make any noises or are seen out before the completion of the test, it is grounds for immediate dismissal and cancellation of scores. After the exam is over, devices will be handed back. 

Once the testing period is over, all students are to the improvisation performance. Students who are currently failing, or at risk of failing two classes or more will report to a designated study hall.

Students often underestimate the importance of the PSAT.  The PSAT won’t count towards your college admission applications, but that does not mean the scores won’t have an impact after high school. 

Scores can lead to National Merit Scholarships. This program provides monetary aid and set the foundation for additional scholarships. The PSAT is a great way to practice for the SAT and familiarize with its structure and format. That way when it’s time to take the SAT for real, it won’t seem like a new and bizarre concept.

Good luck to all test takers!