Trick or Treating

Trick or Treating

Child in Halloween costume. Mixed race Asian and Caucasian kids and parents trick or treat on street. Little boy and girl with pumpkin lantern and candy bucket. Baby in witch hat. Autumn holiday fun.

famveldman - stock.adobe.com

famveldman - stock.adobe.com

famveldman - stock.adobe.com

Rachel Nelson, Editor-In-Chief

It’s that time of year again. Kids are dressing up in their costumes, parents are trying to keep them from eating too much candy at the end of the night. This year there’s a twist, there’s snow. 

Some cities have rescheduled their trick or treating until Sunday, when it will be warmer and the snow will- hopefully- be almost gone. 

Here are some times for the cities in the area: Belvidere- 4-8; Rockford- 5:30-7:30; Poplar Grove 4-7; Loves Park 5:30-7:30 and Machesney Park 5-7:30. If you are going out, make sure you are dressed in warm clothes, the weather is not going to be good. 

If you want to be one of the good houses in the neighborhood that kids love coming to, try to have a few of these candies in your bowl: Reese’s, M&Ms, Snickers, Hersheys and KitKats. Or if you want to be really cool, you can have a popcorn machine. One of the houses I used to trick or treat at had that and it was always the busiest. That was the one house I always loved going to. 

Halloween is a huge part of being a kid. I always loved being able to dress up and pretend that I was something else for a night, not to mention all the free candy I would get. While we all partake in it in one way or another, do many of us know where and Halloween started? 

Halloween began as part of an ancient Celtic religion in Britain where people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts coming back from the dead. It was a day that many people joined in on. The Celts celebrated their new year on November 1 roughly 2000 years ago. The night of October 31 they celebrated Samhain, the night it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. 

The Celts also thought that if they made sacrifices to the bonfires and wore costumes depicting animals, they would be able to tell each other’s fortunes. 

These days, we don’t do any sacrifices or try to predict fortunes. We just dress up in a myriad of different costumes going around basically begging for candy. 

If you go out on Halloween night, you will see people of all ages on the streets going door to door. Parents taking their kids around the neighborhood, teenagers taking their siblings and the occasional teenagers who want to get free candy. 

I don’t think that anyone in high school or older should be trick or treating unless they are going around with a younger sibling. People have to grow up at some point. If they don’t start by the time they get to high school, might as well start with not going trick or treating anymore. 

While celebrating Halloween is something that has been around for a long time, maybe this year is one that should be skipped because of the weather.