California School Shooting

California School Shooting

Anne Rutherford, Reporter

The gun laws in California are some of the most restrictive in the United States. Unlike most other states, California has no provision in its state constitution that explicitly guarantees an individual right to keep and bear arms. However on Thursday, November 14, a 16 year old Nathaniel Berhow went to his Southern California High School, where he pulled a .45-caliber pistol from his backpack. According to the authorities, in just 16 seconds he shot five classmates and then turned the gun on himself. 

Two students, Grace Anne Muehlberger, 15, and Dominic Blackwell, 14, died at the hospital. The three other teens were wounded but are expected to recover. As for the gunman, Berhow was taken to the hospital to receive treatment, but has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. He was pronounced dead on Friday at about 3:30 p.m with his mother by his side. 

Berhow’s motives remain unclear and the authorities are continuing the investigation. According to Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva, the gunman shot seemingly at random but appeared “very familiar with the weapon” and did not commit a “spur-of-the-moment act”. 

“There’s nothing really that stands out (with the suspect). He wasn’t a loner. Wasn’t socially awkward. Was involved in student activities. Student athletes,” said Sheriff Villanueva. 

“This is kind of out of the blue, shocking pretty much everyone who knew him.”

The authorities are continuing their investigation and are looking into the suspects social media and background to find any connection between the gunman and the victims. As of right now there is no found connection. The victims appeared to be who was around him at the time.