Belvidere North Swimming

Anthony Espensen, Writer

The Belvidere co-op swim team has recently begun practice to get ready for the start of the 19-20 season. The team is coached by first year Head Coach Allison Smith and assisted by Traci Torbert. In the offseason ex Head coach, David  Graffy, decided to take a new Administrative role at Rockford Auburn High School leaving the swim team without a coach. It was a perfect opportunity for Coach Smith to step in. This years first meet will be the Harlem Invite this Saturday, December 8. 

After losing the program record holder for times and the best swimmer to ever come through the program, Devyn Green (‘19), the team is going to need to find new leaders and contributors. 

Oryi Tucker (‘20) is looking to have a strong season since e has swam for varsity for all four years and has the experience to make a lot of noise in conference. Oryi swims the 200 Individual Medley, which is 50 butterfly, 50 backstroke, 50 breaststroke, and 50 free.

¨We have a young team this year but we are all improving, I can’t wait to see how we finish, said Tucker.

Another Key swimmer for the team is Belvidere Junior Daniel Golonka (‘21). Golonka is a three year varsity swimmer and looks to make a big impact for the team this year. He swims all strokes very well and should be a huge point contributor to the team as a whole. 

There are three freshmen who will be swimming varsity this year, Jackson Hatch (‘23), Alex Hatch (‘23), and Tergel Myagmarsaikhan (‘23́). All three of them were brought up immediately to start the season. They are all very skilled swimmers who have a lot of experience from growing up in the pool. 

Belvidere is projected to finish in the middle of the NIC-10 Conference. But if the team performs to their full capability that can definitely change. There is a lot of young talent and a huge upside to the team. It will be fun to see how the team finishes and how much they improve.