Mural Is Finally Hung After Two Years of Hiding

At Belvidere North High School, three art students were given the opportunity to paint a mural in celebration of the 100th Anniversary of the Woman’s Club depicting the beginning of the summer art show at Big Thunder Park in Belvidere. The three sophomores, who are now seniors, are Elizabeth Hare, Isabella Kazluski and Abbey Brynolf.

“The mural was very fun to paint and it was good to see the idea spring to life. I know I was thrilled when I heard that the mural was finally getting a place in town because that meant it will help to brighten up the streets of Belvidere! I love the whole idea of Belvidere as the ‘City of Murals’ and by continuing to make more of these pieces of art, the name will live on. I also recommend it to any artist who is looking to get involved with something in the community. It is very exciting to work on something that will be seen by the public as well as generations to come,” said Liz Hare (‘20).

The mural was unveiled at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, December 6 at 221 N. State Street in downtown Belvidere. This mural has been stored away for two years because the city of Belvidere needed to find a business that would allow them to hang the mural on their wall. 221 N. State Street is where the mural will hang when the weather warms up in the spring. The Belvidere Woman’s Club sponsored the mural and every year they sponsor an art student to have the opportunity to attend a summer camp in the arts.