Belvidere co-op swimming First half

Anthony Espensen

The Belvidere co-op swim team has continued their season after their first few meets. The team is coached by first year Head Coach Allison Smith and assisted by Traci Torbert. In the offseason ex Head coach, David  Graffy, decided to take a new Administrative role at Rockford Auburn High School leaving the swim team without a coach. It was a perfect opportunity for Coach Smith to step in. Their last meet was Thursday December 19th at Jefferson High School. 

The 200 medley relay of Oryi Tucker(́20), Daniel Golonka(́21), Tergel M.(́23), and Jack Brown (́21) took first! The 400 free relay team of Tucker, Golonka, Tergel, and Jacob  Pearson (́20) took second coming up seconds short just short to Harlem. Oryi Tucker also took first in his 100 fly and Daniel Golonka also took first in his individual races. After losing the program record holder Devyn Green (‘19), the team has definitely found new leaders and contributors. Tucker and Golonka have been leading the way and aren’t looking back now.

Oryi Tucker (‘20) is looking to keep having a strong season since he has swam on varsity for all four years and has the experience to lead the team and win almost every race.  Oryi swims the 200 Individual Medley, which is 50 Butterfly, 50 Backstroke, 50 Breaststroke, and 50 Free.After taking second in a few races at the Harlem Invite Tuker bounced back and found his touch in the most recent meet by taking first in every race he had. 

“̈I’m feeling very good in the water right now and am really enjoying the season. This is the best I’ve swam in my four years here, I can’t wait for the rest of the season,” said Tucker. 

Another key swimmer for the team is Daniel Golonka (‘21). Golonka is a three year varsity swimmer and has been making a big impact for the team this year. He swims a variety of strokes very well and recently has been a huge point contributor to the team.  

The three freshmen have been holding their own in conference and proving why they should be varsity swimmers. Jackson Hatch (‘23), Alex Hatch (‘23), and Tergel Myagmarsaikhan (‘23́) are three freshman on varsity. All three of them were brought up immediately to start the season. They are all very skilled swimmers who have a lot of experience from growing up in the pool. 

Belvidere is projected to finish in the middle of the NIC-10 Conference. If the team stays on this path they should reach their full capability soon. There is a lot of young talent and a huge upside to the team. It will be fun to watch the team progress throughout the year and see how they finish. Their next meet is Saturday December 21,  at Rockford East High school.