DECA

DECA logo image

Photo from www.ahlei.org

DECA logo image

Sadie Cooper, Reporter

“DECA is a business organization where we compete at regional, state, and national level. We compete in many different events involving all aspects of business such as finance, marketing, hospitality, etc. where we present in front of judges against people all over the state,” said Samantha Allen(‘20).”

This year Mr. Young and DECA are having an amazing run of success. The last four years Belvidere North’s DECA has had two state vice presidents, a national vice president and Mara Parker (‘20) is currently the state president. 

DECA just finished a successful sectional where two teams finished in the top ten in their events.  Mara Parker(‘20) and Sam Baker(‘20) took 5th (out of 45) in Marketing Management Team Decision Making and Ella Dixon(‘22) and Anna Sida(‘21) finished 7th (out of 47) in Travel and Tourism Team Decision Making. Each team had 30 minutes to plan their response to a specific scenario and then had 15 minutes to present their ideas to their judge. 

“Sectionals went pretty well for me. I competed in a role play in the category travel and tourism with my partner Ella Dixon, and we placed 7th. Top ten get medals so we were excited to place! Overall I’m very excited to see where the season takes us and we are looking forward to state in March.” said Anna Sida(‘21). 

They are now preparing for state where they will have 22 students competing in many different events ranging from written, team and individual. North is hoping to improve on last year’s ten International Career Development Conference qualifiers. 

Some of the places where they have competed are Omaha, Nebraska, Michigan, and Minnesota. Nine North students also went to nationals last year in Orlando, Florida. North is hoping to qualify more students for nationals in Nashville, Tennessee. State is March 12-14 in Rosemont, IL, Nationals is April 28-May 3 in Nashville, TN. 

In competition, there are many different events that the members participate in.

1. A)  Individual and Partner Roleplays (27 different categories) – you (or with a teammate) act out a part and pretend that you are inheriting a random situation. Students are given a prompt, and key talking points and you get a limited time to plan their response. Then competitors have a limited time to present their plan to a judge (who is also playing a part in the “role play”).
  2. B) Online events (8 different categories) – These are a series of events that students can compete online and play various business simulations against thousands from all over the US. 
  3. C) Written events (23 different categories) – Students have various events that pertain to specific topics they run, or research they do, or businesses they create programs for. Students have to create a written document of 10-30 pages (varies by event) and create a 15-minute presentation based on the write-up.

This is what DECA is. Teaching students about the business world through competition.