Wizard of Oz

Sadie Cooper, Reporter

This year,  Belvidere North’s theater department is putting on the play Wizard of on February 14-16 at the D-100 Performing Arts Center (PAC) at Belvidere High Shool:  1500 East Ave, Belvidere. Performances will be held at 7:00 pm on Friday and Saturday along with 2:00 pm matinees on Saturday and Sunday. Tickets are on sale now:  $10/adults $7/students & senior citizens at https://bnhspa.booktix.com/ or you can buy them the day of the play at the box office.

Belvidere North High School features a dynamic high school cast including DejaSandkam(‘20) (Dorothy), Sophie Psaltis(‘20) (Scarecrow), Mark Magallanes(‘21) (Tinman), Christopher Christ(‘20) (Cowardly Lion), Jacob Schwenk(‘21) (the Wizard), Macy Oldani(‘20) (Glinda the Good Witch), Felicity Roman(‘20) (Wicked Witch of the West), and a fabulous ensemble. 

In addition to the high school cast, the production will showcase the talents of nearly 60 elementary school Munchkins from throughout the community.

The play is about a girl from Kansas who gets swept up in a tornado and taken to the magical land of Oz. The girl must follow the yellow brick road to find the wizard that will help her get home. On the way, she meets some creatures that help her along the way. She meets a Scarecrow that needs a brain, a Tin Man missing a heart, and a Cowardly Lion who wants courage. When they get to the wizard, he asks for the broom of the wicked witch of the west in exchange for his help.