Update on Kindness Week

Maroney, Kelly

Brynn Eubanks, reporter

Random Acts of Kindness Day was February 17. Belvidere North spent this last week February 24 through the 28, celebrating kindness. Students and staff have participated in many activities throughout the week to show their kindness.

Everyday there were different themes to participate in. Monday was to come dressed as your favorite superhero. Tuesday was to show your craziness for kindness by wearing bright colored clothes and crazy patterns. Wednesday was to represent first responders and Military. On Thursday, wearing a shirt that shows what you are most passionate about, like a band or a sports team. To finish off the week, students and staff could wear school spirit clothing on Friday!

Not many students dressed the themes as teachers did, but many students participated in the kindness tree.

The art students created a Kindness Tree that is located in the cafeteria. During all three lunches students were encouraged to take heart shaped papers and write something kind or acknowledge someone kind on them, and attach them onto the Kindness Tree. Students who were mentioned on the tree were placed into a drawing for prizes this Friday.

In partnership with Aeropostale, there is a jean drive for local homeless teens, this has been available all week. Collection boxes will still be in the Main office and Athletic office to bring donations of any pairs of jeans.

There is also still a chance for anymore items to donate to the Drive for Noah’s Ark Animal Shelter! The collection bin is in the Main office. Again, items you can donate are, Post it notes, Tape white out pens, any size ziploc bags, Distilled water, Scrub brushes, Cat or dog toys, Paper towels, Kleenex, Copy paper, Duct tape, and News paper.

The Bulletin Board displayed in the 1500 Pod has been filled with kindness.”Caught being Kind” sheets were put on the board by teachers. Students names who have shown an act of kindness were put on the board. All students acknowledged for their kindness this week, are put into a drawing for prizes today this Friday.

Showing a “bit” of kindness; Teachers shared their Bitmojis which were put on the Bulletin Board by Office B. In addition random ones were posted throughout the building and a link to a QR code for students to submit guesses on who’s Bitmoji it is. Prizes are going to be given out to who guessed correctly this Friday!

Kalen Cotrell (‘21) said, “Idon’t think Kindness Week affected a lot of people because most people didn’t participate in it. I think the only people who participated were in charge of putting the decorations up like the Kindness Tree and a few people who put hearts up on it.”

Izzy Sandwick(‘21) also said, “II feel that Kindness week was a good event for our school, but did not feel there was an impact on myself or anyone. I didn’t notice anybody participating or standing out to spread kindness. I feel if people were to participate, it would have had a great impact on the school. I think that kindness should be something that we focus on everyday, not just on an assigned week.”

Overall Kindness week was a good idea in spreading positivity, but not many students participated in the week’s activities. Kindness is something staff and students should be aware of spreading everyday. The Drives for Jeans and for the Animal Shelter were a great idea and many different drives should be offered often at our school.