Rockford Standout At the NFL combine

Anthony Espensen

This past week Feb 23, 2020- March 2nd, 2020 The annual Nfl combine was held at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis Indiana. At the NFl combine the best football players in the country gather to disp[lay their skills and try to get a shot to play in the league. This is the best way to get noticed due to the number of scouts who will be in attendance. It’s the NFLs evaluation system. The athletes go under numerous tests and evaluations such as the 40 yard dash, bench press (225lb max rep), vertical jump, Broad jump, 20-yard shuttle, 3 cone drill, 60 yard shuttle, numerous position specific drills, The Cybex test, and the Wonderlic test. Players here can also be interviewed by different NFL teams. Each team is allowed 60 interviews, each interview can only be 15 minutes long. 

At the Combine you are seeing some of the most Athletic people in the world display in their gifts. In 2017 John Ross ,who is now a wide receiver for the Redskins, ran a 4.22 40 yard dash. This is the fastest 40 yard to ever be recorded. This year the fastest 40 was 4.27, that was ran by Alabama wide receiver Henry Ruggs III. 

However the Big story this year was hometown representative James Robinson. Robinson is the all-time rushing leader in Illinois high school history, gaining 9,045 yards in four seasons at Rockford’s Lutheran High School. His 158 rushing touchdowns ranked fourth all-time nationally at the time he graduated. ISU coaches got him on the field for nine games as a true freshman as a runner (63-322-5.1, two TDs), receiver (12-109-9.1, one TD), and kick returner (14-325-23.2). He became the lead rusher as a sophomore, earning first-team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference honors (165-933-5.7, 12 TDs rushing; 9-75-8.3 receiving). Robinson took his game to another level in 2018, becoming a finalist for the Walter Payton Award as the top offensive player in the FCS. The third-team Associated Press All-American and first-team All-MVFC selection ran for 1,290 yards on 205 carries (6.3 average) and 12 scores (also 21-164-7.8, one TD receiving). Robinson rose to first-team AP All-American and all-conference honors in 2019 after leading the FCS with 364 carries, finishing second with 1,917 rushing yards (5.3 average), and sixth with 18 rushing touchdowns. He also caught 16 passes for 80 yards on the year while leading his team to the national title game. He continued to show out at the combine. He ran a 4.64 40 yard dash and repped out 24 reps on the bench press which was third overall for running backs. Best of luck to James on his Pro Journey.