16-Year Old Used His Flight Lessons to Deliver Medical Supplies to Hospitals

Caden Brannan, Reporter

16-year-old TJ Kim has been flying planes all over Virginia in order to deliver medical supplies to rural hospitals fighting the novel coronavirus. The teen, who is a sophomore at Landon School in Bethesda, Maryland, was inspired to deliver supplies after his classes were canceled as a result of COVID-19. Without school or lacrosse to occupy his time, he turned his focus on his flying lessons. 

According to The Associated Press, Kim and his family then launched their Operation SOS (Supplies Over Skies) project to keep busy during the shutdowns while also serving others in need by delivering supplies to rural hospitals. When Kim first asked his flight instructor, Dave Powell, to use their flying lessons as delivery runs for Virginia hospitals, the pilot was awestruck.

“For TJ to be more concerned with the needs of others in his melancholy state just reiterated to me how amazing this young man is,” Powell told The AP.

Since the young man delivered his first batch of medical gowns, masks, sanitizer, and shoe covers to a 25-bed hospital in Luray on March 27th, he has continued to go on weekly flights to other critical access hospitals—and the healthcare workers have greatly appreciated the support.